A few highlights:
- 1/10 – CNBC presents an introduction to RSS segment on Closing Bell. Welcome Wall Street!
- 2/23 – The Associated Press begins to deliver content via RSS feeds. Can you say mainstream?
- 3/11 – Engadget features a slick new animated RSS screensaver for Mac OS X.
- 5/2 – Businessweek says that RSS aggregators “could turn the web on its head” by eliminating the need for web surfing.
- 6/24 – Microsoft announces that it will support RSS in Longhorn (now Vista) and Internet Explorer 7.
- 9/27 – Forrester announces that 6% of consumers are using RSS, up from 2% in 2004.
- 10/7 – Google releases RSS aggregator: Google Reader.
- 10/10 – Yahoo releases whitepaper: RSS – Crossing Into the Mainstream. Key findings include:
• 12% of users are aware of RSS and 4% knowingly use it.
• 27% of internet users use RSS without knowing it.
- 11/29 – Yahoo! integrates RSS reader into Yahoo! Mail.
- 12/4 – Target offers weekly ad via RSS.
- 12/15 – Microsoft announces use of orange RSS button in IE and Outlook.
- 12/24 – RSS to be integrated into Microsoft Outlook 12.
Thanks to Dana for the tip.